5.08.2008

sew what! Skirts



I checked this book out from my library last week, and have been anxious to try out the a-line skirt pattern. You know from my last few posts that I have stocked up on fabric. So, I decided that last night was the night to do it.

I have NEVER understood patterns; they always seem like a foreign language to me. I tend to grow quite impatient with projects that don't go quickly and easily, so I typically just wing it, and then when they don't turn out, I end up just tossing it in frustration.  My patience with sewing has grown quite a bit over the last few years, however, so the outcome might not be as bad now as it would have 4 or 5 years ago. 

But, this book was different. The instructions were so clear and easy to follow. I learned a lot of tricks that would have made a big difference in past projects! Following the book's directions, I even learned to put in a zipper

(I kindly ask that you ignore my laundry pile in the background; at least its folded. And also my granola bar breakfast; I was in a hurry. Thanks.)


I am really happy with the structure of my first skirt. I purposely used this fabric, knowing that it was more of a tester. I love the material, but I think it would make an even cuter summer apron or even a picnic basket liner! My next skirt will probably be out of the chocolate brown and turquoise fabric that I got in Canton, because it is my favorite. 

4 comments:

Hazel Mayfield said...

Your skirt is very cute. You did a good job.

Joy said...

I just happened to check this book out at the library last night myself! I am excited to read it and make a skirt now that i see how nice your A-line skirts came out! Fabulous job!

Where do you find all your cute fabric? I am just getting into sewing and I am having a hard time finding cute fabric that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. :)

Mandy said...

I love the library! Just requested that book, thanks. I am just venturing into making clothes...mostly for my 2 year old...but I am loving your skirts. Might have to make one for me!

Susy said...

Girl! I just love your creativity and all your tips! I just put a hold on this book! Thanks!