2.23.2009

How to make flower clips

While the cropped haircuts on my two little ones look adorable, they are very limiting on how I can style them. To break up the short-hair-monotony, I've been constructing more flower clips (click here and here for earlier posts) that will keep the hair out of their eyes while looking stylish.


Some of the flowers I constructed from craft felt, others are fabric (just like my flower pins), and the plastic ones came from a scrapbooking store. 

The center of each flower is a brad (available in every color and style imaginable in most scrapbooking stores; I get mine at Hobby Lobby in the paper crafts section when they go half off - very inexpensive).


The great thing about using brads is that you don't need glue (in my original hair clips, I used glue, and discovered that it wasn't necessary) - just wrap it around the hair barrette (any hair clip will do!). Then, later it easy to remove the flower and switch it with another or just leave it plain. 


My girls love having these in their hair and I love that I can inexpensively make cute clips that match any outfit.  

20 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

So cute!!! Great idea!

Nancy Sabina said...

So clever to use scrapbooking stuff for clippies. Thanks for the great idea!

Trish said...

NOW I know what to do with the hair clips I bought and then never did anything with - got two granddaughters that are going to love them!

Amanda @ www.kiddio.org said...

I agree, glue is not my first choice so I had taken to stitching mine. Brads would be far easier. Where did you find those clips? I've had trouble finding anything other than the metal snap-clips (Goody brand). Cheap, but I'd like some options :)

Kristin said...

Amanda, the clips are by Goody - they are the "Stay Put" line, and are the only clips that I use! They never fall out because of the grippy material in the middle. I have only been able to find them at Target and Kroger grocery stores.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so clever! I love the scrapbook supply idea! Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

Monica said...

Posts like this make me wish I had a daughter.

Oh well, since I have 3 sons, I will surely have grandchildren some day. Maybe I'll get a girl then.

Kristen said...

Too cute!!!! Love them!

Christy Amular said...

Wonderful tutorial!MY little niece would love these!

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

My two month old baby girl is just starting to get some good hair - I'm hoping it will be clip worthy soon!

This project makes me think all those tote bins of bits and pieces of fabric I have aren't going to sit there unused for much longer....

Hailey said...

Who are you + where did you come from?! I just spent 2 hours looking at all your amazing crafts, projects + ideas. I'm in love with your blog + hope you don't mind if I come back! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Amy said...

Love these. I'm pregnant with a girl and can't wait to put bows in her hair.

Julia said...

I just found your blog. I love it and will be checking it out often.

dana said...

You are a crafty lady! Thanks for checking in on my MADE blog.
Great ideas you have here!

Alison Gibbs said...

What a fabus idea
Alison

Anonymous said...

I have to echo Hailey and say that I LOVE your blog and have spent hours on here tonight! This is not helpful to my obsession.....I am such a craft-junkie! (I also HATE PATTERNS, can quote Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite, grew up calling carts "buggies", am married with two kids and love Jesus!) Thanks for all the inspiration - please keep it coming!!!

the cole family said...

I happened to run across your blog while "blog-stalking" tonight & I absolutely love these flower hair clips! I can't wait to dig further into your blog!

Jenny said...

Those are adorable. We use the same clips for my daughter. They are the only ones that keep her hair back all day, but they are boring plain.

I'm going to have to try this!

My Trendy Tykes said...

love these! I am going to feature them next week in my crafty post.

Linda

Cindy said...

Yeah for you and your great ideas! My friend follows your blog and since she is so crafty, I decided she would only follow crafty people such as yourself. Boy did I guess this one right. Just went to the craft store tonight and loaded up on cute brads. Can't wait to try them. I'll be sure to give credit where credit is do. Can't wait to keep reading your blog. You rock!