8.20.2008

Lazy girl's quilt

While I struggled with cutting up this beloved fabric, I am so glad that I did - the colors and patterns take on a whole new life when sewn together.

I have never made a quilt this large; so the task has been a little daunting. I knew that I wanted a simple design, and was inspired by this quilt for my "design." I put "design" in quotation marks because once I determined that I needed twenty four 12" squares, I simply began cutting rectangles and squares and fitting them together randomly. 

The trick is to cut in 3" increments so that it adds up to 12 more easily. I began with the chocolate brown floral, and cut 12 rectangles and squares that were all divisible by 3 (6x6", 3x9", etc.). Then, I moved on to my next fabric, cutting the same way and adding the pieces to my chocolate brown floral. 


I currently have 12 of my 24 completed, and am contemplating what fabric to do the sashing and binding in, and how I will back it - solid or in pieces (I'm thinking of something like this). 

To save money, I am considering buying a solid 100% cotton flat sheet in a coordinating color (probably pink, because the green is more dominant than I was expecting) and using that fabric as my sashing. Has anyone tried this before? I would love your input!


12 comments:

Janelle said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. I'm not generally a crafty type person, and your blog isn't overbearing in that department, so I like it so far.

As far as your backing on this quilt is concerned, that sort-of depends on what the intended use is and what type of fabric the top is. If it's cheap stuff you got at Jo-Ann Fabrics, go ahead and get the large flat sheet. If it's nice quality quilting fabric, however, you don't want to back it with something of a significantly lower quality. The colors won't last as long, and the fabric may start to pill on the back. If it's for kids to play on, sure, why not? But if it's for a gift or do display in your home, again, I'd go with the higher quality.

Michelle said...

I love it, sooooo beautiful! I use sheets for quilts a lot. I just make sure I get a decent quality sheet and you can get an awful lot of nice fabric really cheap, especially if you hit Ross or TJ maxx. Good luck, keep us posted!

Jocelyn said...

So, I totally agree that the green is more pronounced than expected. I love the idea of pink sashing -- it would totally little-girlify the whole quilt.
I wonder, though, if you'll regret using a cheaper sheet with this designer fabric...I just don't know. I wonder if the color will fade faster or something like that. But I do so love the idea of pink sashing. And I vote for chocolate brown backing. I love that chocolate fabric.

Anonymous said...

It is looking so good!!!

Jennie said...

I agree with Janelle's comment, depending on the material of the top pieces, I would use a sheet, but remember there are some really nice sheets out now and depending if you find it on sale you can get a 300 ct. or higher sheet to back it.

I am big on using sheets on a project that calls for large amounts of fabric, because in some cases it is less expesive to use a sheet thatn to but yards of material. I have used them for bed skirts, curtains, backing of quilts and making duvet covers. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I have used a flat sheet a number of times, however, I went with higher thread count (better quality) and to be perfectly honest, the quilt tops have started to fall apart, but not the back. These have been play/child quilts that have been loved lots and lots. So I say go for it! BUT go for higher end...check out Ross Dress for less, Linen's and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond...for their markdown/clearance items. Good luck, it looks quite yummy...I loved Beki's quilt too!~

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

WOW - it is coming together so beautifully!! Love the fabric choices - perfect for a little girls room.

Tamra said...

I've made two of my girls quilts and am about to do one for my third daughter. I use flannel sheets for the back and haven't had any problem. It is a nice cheaper (but not cheap) way to do the back especially since quilt backing can be so expensive and you have to piece smaller/regular sized fabric.

Andrea said...

Wow! I wish I was that talented. Looks good already! I have to get my mom to teach me how to quilt. I can't wait to see your finished quilt and pink would be great.

Krista said...

I'm loving your quilt, Kristin! Can't wait to see the finished product! I treasure the ones you've made for us over the years! Mom told me about the hats & scarves for the girls . . . can't wait to see them! =)

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

I love the fabric...it looks great. I have used sheets before...you need to use a good quality and make sure you wash it first!

Anonymous said...

I love how the quilt is coming along!

The last quilt I made using a sheet for the backing, was last one I will do that to. Only because it is disappointing to have such a lovely front and then turn it over to something plain.

The sheets work well, but I would rather have a pretty print on both sides.

Thats my two cents! :)