Because they could transform them into this!
Once again, I got out my Mod Podge and scissors; but, like every time that I decoupage, it is so easy. First, I traced around the hideous notepad onto a piece of decorative paper, and cut it out.
To keep the pages free from glue and out of the way, I clipped them together.
Then, using a foam brush (because they are cheap and offer the easiest application, I think), I spread it on thick, covering the entire notebook cover.
When adhering my decorative paper, I made sure to smooth out any air bubbles. At this point, I went to bed, and let my Mod Podge dry. It is not necessary to let the glue dry before applying the topcoat, but I think it helped to create a smooth bubble-free finish.
Sorry, I am switching notebooks here; I didn't realize that I did that until I was finished. The process is the same, though: now, I just cover the decorative paper with a generous layer of Mod Podge to seal it.
Once dry, I punched a hole through the notebook, and inserted a decorative brad.
Then, I punched a hole on the backside and slid a loop of narrow elastic through.
Using a coordinating eyelet, I fit it into the hole, next to the elastic.
By pounding down my eyelet, I have secured my elastic in place. And that's it; I'm done!
What a simple transformation of an everyday object into something special. Now I will be looking for opportunities to pull one of these out of my bag!