5.16.2008

Ooh, honey honey!

Have you ever tried something, and thought, "this tastes good," but not until you are done with it, do you realize how mouthwateringly delicious it really was? Once the food has left your mouth, you cannot stop thinking about it until you get seconds and thirds? 

No, its just me? 

Oh well, that is how I feel about these honey bars. 

It is my mom's recipe, and on a recent trip home to the Great White North, known as Minnesota, she made these, and I was reminded of how much I LOVE this treat.



Honey Bars

3/4 c. oil 2 c. flour
1/4 c. honey 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar 1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg 1 tsp. cinnamon

Icing 

1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
A few drops of milk


Mix the oil, honey, sugar and eggs together. Set aside, and mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon separately. Add dry ingredients to the first mixture. Mix well (it will be thick). Spread into a greased pan (I use a half-cookie sheet), and bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Mix icing ingredients together; the consistency shouldn't be too thick, but not too runny either. I add the milk 1/4 tsp. at a time while stirring until I get it right. Ice while warm. Cut into squares after it has cooled. Then, place in pedestal cake stand, thereby, elevating its "fanciness." Tastes great with a good cup of coffee...

10 comments:

Krista said...

Yummy! I'll have to make these sometime! =)

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

Looks good! Have you made them with whole wheat? I'm thinking I'll give it a try.

mama k said...

Yummy!
Found you via Amy... I am making these tonight w/ wh wheat flour. I'll post a pic on my blog when I'm done. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok I made these and they were to die for. I put them in an 8" pan because it did not look like a lot of batter. Wow they puffed up twice their size. Next time I could get away with a 13x9 but I am staring at an empty pan so I don;t know if it would really matter. These are my new favourite and a cinch to make. Thanks

Bobbi Kenow said...

I WILL make these on Saturday

Anonymous said...

I made these last night. I found the icing too sweet. I made them in a nine inch square and they took longer to get the middle done so the edges are a bit crunchy. I would rate them just okay.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! I haven't made these for probably 3 years. The first time I made them, I didn't like them right away. I was determined to not throw them away though. But every day they got better. They apparently "age" well. Thanks for posting the recipe so I remembered them!

mamabeck said...

I do these bars as well...but the icing I use is 1 C powdered sugar, 1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla (used to thin the icing) and Mayonnaise to be the liquid and fat. The TWANG of the mayo makes the icing. These are fabulous!!!

Beth said...

I tried these over the weekend and they were awesome! Even though I didn't have any powdered sugar, I tried a little brown sugar and sprinkled crushed pecans on top - DEELISH! Thanks for sharing ;)

JStacie said...

I was flipping through some of my favorite saved blog post, and I just wanted to tell you that we made these. Our family just loves them. I am glad to have some dessert besides cookies, and brownies. They are super sweet- but I made myself get used to it. A perfect fall treat!
Thanks for the recipe.