The crayon roll has been a hit at church lately (except for the fact that I should have made another one, because there is always a fight in the pew for who gets to hold it). So, when I was out perusing the shops this weekend and came across the idea for a crayon holder apron, I knew my daughter would love to have one at home for her art projects. And I had just the fabric to do it with.
Do you notice how shiny the fabric is? That is because I was finally able to put to use a product that Pink and Polka Dot turned me onto:
I love this product. It is made by the same company that makes Heat N Bond. I have only been able to find it at Joanne's, and it can be pricey ($9 for a 2 yard roll). But I happened to catch it when it was half off so I picked up a couple of rolls. It gives the fabric a smooth shiny finish, almost like oilcloth, except easier to maneuver because it is thinner.
Another great benefit of using this product is that while oilcloth can be hard to find and typically comes in limited patterns, now I can use any fabric my heart desires to create wipe-able cloth. Baby bibs are another project that I want to try.
And no, I am not the new Iron-on Vinyl company spokeswoman (but I would be interested if they are looking...)
I began with 3 rectangles:
- 6 X 16 1/2"
- 8 X 16 1/2"
- 3 X 44"
After cutting my rectangles, I folded the pocket piece (6 X 16 1/2") in half lengthwise, and pinned it to the bottom edge of the larger rectangle, folded side facing up.
Starting 1 1/4" from the right side, I began sewing the sections 1" apart. This will give you 16 openings with 1 1/4" on each end.
To finish the edges, I used a double fold bias tape around the sides and bottom.
I wanted to create a gathered look, but was worried how the vinylized cloth would look if I tried to ruffle it. Luckily, using a basting stitch (an extra-long stitch) I was able to pull the thread and create a gathered waist just like I would with any other fabric (finished width: 12").
Taking my 3 X 44" piece, I ironed the long edges in and then in half to create the sash. (notice that I did not use the vinyl on my sash, because I wanted it to be easy to tie).
After pinning the sash by folding it over the top of the skirt, I stitched it down and continued to sew along the edges of the rest of the sash.
My budding artist loves her new apron. And since she has been showing maturity with her art supplies, I inserted miniature markers into each slot, but they are perfectly sized for crayons as well.
Now I want a vinylized apron for myself!